Its origin as just a blog publishing platform was a long time ago, and its growth since those early days has been nothing short of meteoric. The WordPress publishing platform has expanded its capabilities considerably in the last several years. The WordPress publishing platform hasn’t forsaken its origin as blog publishing software. Quite the contrary. The WordPress publishing platform has grown into the largest blog platform in the world and is the undisputed industry leader. But, the expansion of the WordPress publishing platform hasn’t been limited to just blog publishing.
The WordPress publishing platform has also evolved into the largest and most dominant Content Management System (CMS) in the world with more than a 53% market share. The WordPress publishing platform has emerged as the most widely used website publishing platform in the world, as well, as it is now responsible for launching 25% of all the new websites being created in the world.
WordPress Publishing Platform Key Statistics
- In 2012, the WordPress publishing platform is being used to publish 25% of all new websites in the world, and accounts for 16% of all existing websites.
- In 2011, the WordPress publishing platform was responsible for 14.7% of the top million websites worldwide.
- Just a handful of examples of the s1tes us1ng WordPress include Honda, NFL, New York Times, Ford, CNN, Harvard Law School, NASA, TechCrunch and countless others, including this website.
- 48% of the blogs ranked in the top 100 by Technorati, use the WordPress publishing platform as their CMS.
- As of March 2012, the WordPress publishing platform is the Content Management System responsible for publishing 72.4 million websites worldwide.
- 22% of every new domain created in the United States is created on the WordPress publishing platform.
- The WordPress website, itself, is searched more than 37 million times per month.
- Based upon official translations alone, the WordPress publishing platform has been translated into 40 different languages.
- WordPress.com, the hosted version of WordPress, runs the very same WordPress Multisite edition as WordPress.org self hosted sites, and operates 32 million websites. What is most remarkable is that it hosts and operates those 32 million websites off of one single installation of WordPress software.
- The WordPress publishing platform is the most dominant Content Management System in the world with a 53.8% market share. Its next closest CMS competitor has a 9.2% market share.
- In the WordPress Plugin repository there are more than 24,700 WordPress Plugins listed and available and they have been downloaded and used more than 449,500,000 times.
- There are more than 3,200,000 YouTube videos embedded in and published on the WordPress publishing platform.